(Date format: DD-MM-YYYY)
The third episode of CMTV is here! How will the members of the CM Forum deal with the mysterious attacks and Smaz's drinking?
CM Forum member iSwamp brings us some development history of the rarest kind: the video of Traveller's Tales' pitch to Universal regarding The Wrath of Cortex, as well as some of Mark Cerny and Jon Burton's thoughts concerning how the game came to be. Fan research at its finest, folks! Additionally, iSwamp has also asked Mark Cerny about Fake Crash and how he came to be, so more light has been shed about this always elusive character.
* The DS version of Crash of the Titans has its own screenshots now. The only games left to take images of are the main version of MOM and CBB for the DS. Neither of them should be done very soon (MOM because I don't feel like dragging the computer all the way to where my console is and CBB because it's torture playing it). I will get them done eventually, though.
* A brand-spanking new episode of CMTV is up! If you missed the memo last time, this is a claymated show starring the members of the CM Forum. May include walnuts
* Who should be brainwashed to do an interview for the site next? Why, none other than Marc Baril, of course! Marc has composed the music for the most recent Crash games, so check it out if you've ever hummed one of his tunes while or after playing (and of course you have).
* One million visitors. One! Million! I remember being excited when the site had its first one thousand, and now it gets more than that every day! You people are nuts, and boy, does that serve as motivation to keep documenting this great series. To celebrate this landmark, I will now thank each visitor individually.
Thank you, Aalto.
Thank you, Aamos.
Thank you, Aapo.
Thank you, Aapo #2.
Thank you, Aarne.
Yeah, nuts to that. Thanks, everyone! Let's go for two million next
Here's the first update in over a month. Not much has happened lately, so there's not a lot of stuff to talk about.
* The bonus videos from the Japanese versions of Crash 2 and 3 have been submitted by Hacc. You can also check how to unlock them in the respective Secrets pages, as well as the bonus videos from Bash.
* An interesting version difference from the Japanese version of Bash has been submitted by Hacc and Ghakimx.
* New icons for the CNK version differences have been submitted by Bruno and Smaz.
* More Merchandise from Dingodile555: a fridge magnet and the second Nestlé Crash toy.
To compensate for the small size of this update, I leave you with a video of the infamous cut level where Crash is chased by mainstream game reviewers.
New Crash 1 prototype screenshots have been submitted by drx! Step right up and be amazed - for extra fun, try covering the descriptions and play "spot the difference". Hint 1 for some of the screenshots: everything.
CMTV is a show led by local producer/claymator Bandicootmask, starring various members of the Crash Mania Forum in their own segments. It is very awesome. And hilarious. The first episode is already out, and you can learn more about the show and the people behind it in the respective forum thread. Be sure to visit the YouTube channel for parts 2 and 3, as well as more videos and updates
* Darxae scored an interview with FakeNina, a former TT-Oxford member and one of the two people responsible for the SpaceCat Trivia!
* Two Crash models have been added in "out-of-comparison": CotT Prototype/GBA and Unknown.
* Hacc continues to surprise everyone by finding a cut level in the original Crash 1!
* Some information about the N-Gage version of Crash Nitro Kart has finally been added to the site. I attribute the previous lack of information to only 3 people in the World owning an N-Gage (that and the game is just the GBA version with walls).
* A new mobile pack has been submitted by Adel123: Crash VS Spyro Pack.
* New Mysteries: Crash 2 ("Eel Crates" by Komodo222), CNK ("Provisory Names" by LXShadow) and CotT ("Show Some Leg" by Samno1.CBFan).
* The Wumpa Whip article has an updated picture.
* Likewise, the Tiki Masks article has its own picture now.
* And so does the Ratnician (MOM), thanks to Darxae.
* More Trivia: CrashTTR (by Piderman) and MOM (by Crashfan101).
* New Guinness-related Trivia submitted by SMAP. Take a look around the Crash 1, Crash 2, Crash 3 and WoC Trivia pages.
* The Developers & Publishers article has been updated a bit, mostly regarding Activision. Additions and corrections thanks to ConceptWindow.
* New merchandise: mugs and more foodstuffs (by Cras-h).
The winners of the MOM contest have been selected, so check out the rockin' art they've submitted!
Everyone likes contests, right?
Crash Bandicoot Mutant Island is... already out, surprisingly! It seems like the release date previously communicated was way off. The game's page has been updated with new screenshots and detailed information about the gameplay. And oh yeah, the game is really good. Surprisingly so for a mobile spin-off.
Then there's CBNK3D, the mobile racing game that went on to become the most successful iPhone application a few months ago. The game's Zeebo port has been released and is now available for purchase, effectively keeping Crash's perfect attendance record of having a console game every year. Even if the Zeebo is only available in Brazil. As expected, no major changes have been made in relation to the original mobile game, not even the graphics or the addition of a multiplayer option. Seems like a bit of a rip-off.
And for those curious about last year's MOM DS, here are some screenshots. As a reminder, the missing screenshots for some of the other games will be posted in due time. MOM DS is just here first because the levels are all similar to each others, which made the process easier.
With the spin-offs out of the way, we move on to the usual bullet list we've come to love and expect:
* LXShadow continues the WoC mystery madness, not only providing new stuff for the hack document but also pointing out several differences found in the official trailer for the game. The new discoveries made through hacking are present in the the general and airship pages. There's also this new comparison.
* New CTR trivia, submitted by Crashfan100 (last paragraph before the Puns).
* An interesting CTR comic has been submitted by Ben-F.
* New merchandise, featuring a CrashTTR figurine (sent by Wumpa Zoner), the old Sony postcard (sent by Smaz), and some sort of snack from Argentina (sent by Cras-h).
A long overdue RSS embdedme... emdbedm... um, assignment, has been given to the site. What this means is that CM now has its own feed that you can check and subscribe to in order to get all the latest updates. Just click the orange icon next to the title of this entry to do that. That's where all the previous updates are now.
In more exciting news, there will be something very neat on CM in the near future. It's not related to the next game, but you're still going to love it. Taunting with vague foreshadowing is so much fun!
Also, the marathon is proving to be a success, but it's still going and you can still donate. Not only has it been a great way to make money for the needing children, it's also special in that it's bringing many different communities together. Also, Brio is now a meme. Unfortunately.
Mobile gamers will be interested to know that Crash is returning with another 2D side-scroller, Mutant Island. The game is being developed by Glu Mobile and it doesn't look that different from the mobile version of Crash of the Titans, but for now we only have 3 screenshots anyway, so it's too early to jump to conclusions.
And just when you think there isn't much more to uncover from the games' development, new stuff is found by the dedicated members of our community:
And the usual assorted stuffs:
Though a new Crash game seems more than unlikely this year, a group of fans is doing something very special next month that you won't want to miss. Pro3Studios will be organizing a 72-hour live marathon where you'll be able to watch 20 - count 'em! - 20 Crash games. An entire weekend of Crash that promises to be more fun than a barrel of bandicoots! The marathon will sport a live chat that you can use to talk to other people viewing the marathon, as well as a commentator during the games' playthroughs.
But best of all, this event will be helping a great cause. Donations will be accepted throughout the course of the marathon, and all the money will go towards the Children's Miracle Network. Donations are optional but even the smallest ones are a big help, especially if you help spreading the word. This is one of the coolest things ever done by Crash fans and other players alike, so be sure to head in, have fun and help out in any way you can.
The marathon is scheduled to roll from the 24th to the 27th of July. See you there!
Before I begin this update which is chock-full of treats, I would very kindly like to ask everyone to please stop asking me about the next game. I'm being flooded with e-mails asking me when the next game is coming, if it's coming out this year, and why there aren't any news. I don't know any of that. I don't work on the games and I have no connection to their development whatsoever. Besides, if I did know something, I would have posted it here.
That said, a lot of people are panicking over the lack of news, and to that I'm just going to say "be patient". If a new game doesn't come out this year, it'll come out later. Crash hasn't suddenly been forgotten. Hypotethically speaking, if they're taking more time with the next game, it just means it'll turn out even better.
On to the sweet treats:
Community member Crazybandicoot has managed to get an interview with Charles Zembillas!
You may have read from any recent iPhone news articles that Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D is currently the best-selling application for this system. Best-selling application. I'm sorry, I just had to make sure I got the point across. This is huge. And some people still say Crash is dead. Shun the non-believers!
In addition, the original Crash Bandicoot has recently been featured in the Guiness World Records 2009 Gamer's Edition as the 49th top console game. This has been submitted by a large number of people.
The generalities page for Crash Boom Bang has been entirely re-written.
- Crash Bash, by Zwergf.
- XS, by Samno1.CBFan.
- CNK, by Ghakimx and Simon.
Still mysteries, but this bit deserves its own separate bullet: LXShadow has solved and corrected a large number of Wrath of Cortex mysteries that were on the site. Even more interestingly, he's been up to some hacking with the game and has uncovered quite a lot of the game's development history.
A 3D model has been added to the Znu's profile. Thanks to Bruno for sending it.
The TNT Crate has been updated with info submitted by Adel123.
- Crash 1 by Hacc (last paragraph before the puns).
- Crash Bash by Hacc (again right before the puns).
- MOM by Bruno and BandiEvo.
More merchandise sent by Dingodile555 (key chains, toys, plushies, others).
CM goes back to its vertical roots with a shiny new design. Item placement has been re-tooled and everything looks much prettier. Another thing of particular mention is the Wumpa heart logo, which will be used to represent the site from now on. Also, Crunch is over there. He... says stuff. Don't ask.
Note that this is a design update only, so if you're wondering when your recent contributions will be added, you should probably wait until the next update or so.
Because no one can do an evil laughter like him.
Today at the forum we're celebrating our newest activity - the No Post Day! No one will be able to post today, and depending on how things go, this may happen in the following day(s) as well.
Well, actually, Proboards is just having server issues, but it's fun to pretend. I will keep you updated about this, so check back here if you've got the munchies for the Reply button.
EDIT: No Post Day is over! And with minimum casualties this year! WHEEEEE.
- The Space Head has its own Crash-O-Pedia article.
- Keiji Dragon has supplied a video for the MTV Game Brain footage of Crash 2.
- New Crash Bash beta stuff has been found by Hacc.
- MOM mystery additions, sent by InsaneStar.
- And further mysteries for Crash of the Titans, submitted by Pablo Barbará.
- A version difference for CNK GBA, submitted by Dingodile555.
- An old secret/glitch has been added to the Crash 2 and 3 pages (submitted long ago by Angel of Death and Ntropydude. Thanks to crashbandicoot2000 for the reminder).
- Two new CTR glitches have been submitted by TimoteiLOL and Peter Wakeman.
- More MOM Trivia, submitted by Stayinmilk.
- The Slap-E model has been ripped by Pablo Barbará.
Incidentally, and just to clarify, the missing minion models from MOM will be added later along with the screenshots. Those will be late additions.
The long-awaited MOM update is here - game pages, character profiles, locations, you name it. Check out the new MOM section and the Crash-O-Pedia for lots of new content. Screenshots will be put on hold until the game is a bit older, so as not to spoil the game just yet. Credit for the main version trivia goes to Venusy. Further credit goes to Bruno for the MOM DS trivia.
Other things that are also super-duper:
- The character models from CBNK3D have been added. These were ripped and submitted by Bruno, so a big thanks goes to him.
- New WoC mystery, submitted by Lars E. Mou.
- New Merchandise: guides and others.
- N. Gin's cameo in N-Tranced has been pointed out by Nicolas.